The Little Prayer

We often speak about growing in prayer, about developing our lives of prayer. But what does it mean to grow in prayer? How do we do it?

This is, of course, an inexhaustible question. Every person's life of prayer is different, just as every person is different. Everyone grows in prayer differently, even though there are certain 'landmarks' along the way that are similar for everyone.

The following is a little hymn about prayer. Some sources attribute it to St. Paisios of the Holy Mountain. The theme of this hymn is the Jesus Prayer, and how it descends from your mind into your heart when you pray it with humility and stillness. I have offered here my feeble attempts at a translation of this hymn, which I have not found elsewhere in English.

 

 

Η Ευχούλα - The Little Prayer

Eίναι η έρημος πικρά μα θα γίνει και γλυκιά
όταν λεω τη ευχη με ταπείνωση πολύ

It is a bitter desert, but will become also sweet
When I say the prayer with great humility.

Θεέ μου δως μου αντοχή για να λέω τη ευχή
μια με την εισπνοή και μια με την εκπνοή

My God, give me perseverance so that I may say the prayer
Once when I breathe in and once when I breathe out.

άμα θέλεις να σου πω το μεγάλο μυστικό
για την νοερά ευχή που αγάπησα πολύ

But, do you want me to tell you the great mystery
About the mental prayer that I love so much?

την εύχουλα στην αρχή θα την πεις προφορική
και με λίγη επίμονη θα σου γίνει καρδιακή

In the beginning, you will say the little prayer with your lips
And with a little endurance it becomes a prayer in your heart.

όταν ώμος κουραστείς να την λες προφορικώς
τότε κάθισε στο σκαμνί και άσε την να ενεργεί

But when you get tired you should say it with your lips again,
Then sit in your stool and take a rest to get your energy back.

Θεέ μου δως μου υπομονή να καθίσω στο σκαμνί
για να λέω την ευχή και να γίνει καρδιακή

My God, give me patience to sit in my stool
so that I may say the prayer and have it enter my heart.

εις τα λογία της ευχής να 'ναι όλη η προσοχή
γιατί όταν φανταστείς κίνδυνος να πλανηθείς

You should direct all your attention to the words of the prayer,
because when you fantasize, you begin to wander.

Θεέ μου δώς μου προσοχή για να μάθω την ευχή
που εποθεισά πολύ και δουλώθει ης αυτή

My God, give me attention so that I may learn the prayer
which I have longed for greatly and towards which I have been lead.

άμα θέλεις την ευχή να σου γίνει καρδιακή
πρέπει να έχεις σιωπή και ταπείνωση πολύ

But if you want the prayer to enter your heart
then you must have silence and great humility.

την εύχουλα για να πεις πρέπει να συγκεντρωθείς
κάνε κλίση κεφαλής και από κει να ευχηθείς

In order to say the little prayer you must have concentration.
Bow your head, and pray from there.

όσω ώμος την ευχή προσπαθείς για να την πεις
ποσό θα πολεμηθείς δεν μπορείς να φανταστείς

You should try to say the prayer as often as possible.
When you are fighting a battle, you must not fantasize.

τον πειράζοντα πολύ ερεθίζει η ευχή
και γιαυτό μην πτοηθείς όταν έρθουν πειρασμοί

The prayer greatly irritates the one who pressures you.
For that reason, don't be afraid when difficulties come.

μόνο λέγε την ευχή και έχεις να ωφεληθείς
όσο δεν μπορεί κανείς ουτε καν να φανταστεί

Say the prayer at all times, and you will be benefited.
When you are not able, still you should avoid fantasies.

Θεέ μου δώς μου υπομονή για να λέω την ευχή
την εύχουλα την καλή που σε κάνει σαν πουλί

My God, give me patience so that I can say the prayer,
the good little prayer that makes you like a bird.

σε καρδία καθαρά από πάθη βρωμερά
εκεί μένει η ευχή και έχει ενέργεια πολύ

In a heart cleansed from the foul-smelling passions
There the prayer remains and has great energy.

Θεέ μου δώς μου την ευχή που την αγαπώ πολύ
και που λιώνω σαν κερί για να αποκτήσω αυτήν

My God, give me the prayer that I love so much,
and for which I melt like a candle to obtain it.

ο εύχουλα τι καλή όπου είσαι όταν ρθείς
στην καρδία μου την πτωχή και την κάνεις εύπορη

O prayer, how good it is when you come
in my poor heart and you make it rich.

Θεέ μου δώς μου υπομονή για να αντέξω την ευχή
όταν αυτή ενεργεί και με κάνει σαν πουλί

My God, give me patience so that I can endure in the prayer
when it is energized and makes me like a bird,

την ευχούλα την καλή που την λένε οι νηπτικοί
νοερά και καρδιακή την επόθησα πολύ

the good little prayer which you must say as a silent hymn.
I greatly long for it in my mind and in my heart.

εάν έχω σιωπή θα αποκτήσω την ευχή
μου το είπε από καιρό ο πατέρας μου αυτό

If I have silence I will obtain the prayer;
my Father has told me this for ages.

τον πάτερα τον κάλο και τον μέγα οδηγό
αυτόν θέλω και εγώ στην ευχή να θυμηθώ

The good Father and the great guide;
I also want to remember him in prayer.

μόνο αυτόν ζητώ δώς μου σε παρακαλώ
την ευχουλα την καλή που την αγαπώ πολύ.

Only this do I seek, please give to me
the good little prayer that I love so much.

Κύριε Ιησού Χριστέ, ελέησόν με.

'Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Archbishop Ieronymos of Athens: "For each of us to receive the vaccine is an act of Christian solidarity and love for our neighbor"

In Him the Dead are Made Alive: The celebration of Lazarus Saturday

Prepare Your Lamps!: Holy Tuesday and the Parable of the Ten Virgins